Monday 24 October 2011

Lesson 9

The Lesson focused on the theme:
1) Emerging and Future Technologies

Introduction

This topic primarily focuses on the possible future technologies of the future as well as emerging technologies. We were introduced to the quote:

"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'

This is a quote by George Bernard Shaw. I thought it emphasized the overall purpose of the lesson. It's saying that by believing and imagining what potential future technologies are possible one can make things happen.

Video: The Robotic Woman

This video showed a project done on the "perfect" woman. It showed a robot that was made to be the perfect woman. I personally thought the video was extremely creepy. The woman didn't look real to me at all. Although, I think that it is somewhat unsettling I can see that it could potentially be great. It could do well with single men who can't seem to get a women. The potential of this technology is possible and the video makes one think of the possibilities for the future.
From viewing the video, I though about the possibility of people having relationships with these women in the future. As women in our world continuously put work about marriage and base there choice of men more on looks, men will have to find other means of having a relationship. These robotic women could be the perfect solution.

Presentation

In this class, I presented on 3D printed blood vessels. This was my first presentation in SMU and it didn't go that well. It started of pretty badly because of technological difficulties. The computer refused to work with the projector and, so, I had to copy my slides from keynote to powerpoint. Unfortunately, when presenting the video that had been inserted into the slide didn't work. This resulted in having to look for the video on YouTube. The right video was not found, so, another video had to be used.
As a whole, I thought the presentation didn't go well and this is both because of technological difficulties as well as not testing the presentation before. Even though I was disappointed with the presentation I thought it was a good experience as it taught me quite a lot. I learned that I should check the presentation before using it as well as practice more before hand so that I don't feel panicked in times of crisis.

Conclusion

Overall I thought the lesson was good as we heard about various technologies that I either didn't know much about or didn't know anything about.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment